Saturday, August 23, 2008

Guayami Lady with Grandson

This lady sells handmade local crafts made by the Guayami Indians who live up in the mountains above Pavones. Proceeds help support the local Guayami community. I bought one of her dresses 2 years ago - I love the hand-sewn details and cheery colors.

About 6 years ago on a previous visit to Pavones, we had a guide (who happens to be the son-in-law of the woman in the above photograph) who hiked with us into the mountains to see the Guayami community. We were invited into the house of one family, and they served a warm banana drink to help fuel us on the rest of our journey. But by the end of the trip I was so dehydrated and exhausted I felt sick. It's hard to imagine that the Guayami hike up and down the mountain all the time.

2 comments:

dulcy said...

Lily,

I would LOVE one of those dolls! Can Angie get one for me without too much trouble? I will send her check for amount plus postage and handling.

dulcy

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily,

Keep `em coming. They are beginning to look less like a travel narrative and more like a narrative about the place as experienced by an outsider. The large format is nice for these. It feels like you took the time to stop, talk to, and get to know the subjects, which adds to their richness. I look forward to seeing some more, and a nice edit.