Saturday, February 20, 2010

Andrea & Faviana - de Pavones


Andrea

Here are a couple more portraits of local ticas: two young girls from Pavones, Costa Rica. Andrea was in town for the big Bingo event. My sister Angela used to tutor Andrea in English. I love Andrea's colorful and carefully coordinated outfit, and how the light is illuminating her.


Faviana

My limited knowledge of Spanish makes it difficult to communicate sometimes, but from what I understand, Faviana's mom works at the town's Super (grocery store), and Faviana was waiting for her mom. Faviana seems to present that typical tween mixture of both boredom and curiousity.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Faviana was in the right place at the right time, wasn't she?

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily,

The color contrast of the top image creates a warmth and harmony similar to your Intimate Distance work. But why are your subjects so stiff? The way that you are photographing them makes them seem like specimens instead of people, which seems to go against your interest.

Lily Mayfield said...

Yeah I think you are right about the stiffness of the subjects. I think part of it is using the 4x5 camera - learning to make portraits that aren't so stiff takes a lot of practice. I wish I would've shown more of the space here and perhaps I could've had Andrea turn her body differently. On the other hand, part of me does see them as specimens of the types of people residing in an extremely rural, but ever changing, beach town. I think the challenge is trying to find the right balance.

dulcy said...

I love these Lily! Having been there....I feel you've captured these children into very unique and beautiful portraits....great work!