Sunday, March 21, 2010

De Pavones - more new images

I've been working on some more images from the series. I'm just about done working with what I've already scanned, so I'll have do some more scanning next week.

Pavones tag


Macho
This image was made at the big Pavones town event, Bingo. Macho is a fisherman and takes tourists out in boats to go fishing. Jesse and I went out with him many years ago. Here, Macho is making and selling a juice made out of sugar cane. He gave me a little sample, it was very sweet without much flavor. You can purchase the regular sugar cane juice, or get a spiked version which is probably much more enjoyable...


Hector
I photographed Hector on my previous visit to Pavones. His family runs the ceviche restaurant, Brisas Del Mar. Hector, age 11, has quite an artistic eye. He loves to draw. The mural behind him was sketched by him and a friend. I gave Hector some drawing paper and colored pencils and when I saw him the next day, he had done about a dozen detailed images of the local scenery and of monster trucks. He let me pick one of his drawings to keep. I chose one that he had drawn of his house, with detailed depictions of local flora along the uphill incline of his driveway that leads to the house.


The Road
This is one of my favorite things about Pavones. I love walking, riding bikes, and driving up and down the twisting and bumpy dirt roads. A completely different vista is at every turn, and the condition of the road and roadside vegetation varies with the seasons.

2 comments:

Sarah Baranski said...

I love the image of Hector and the story behind it. I'd love to see the drawing he made. Scan it and post it? I love when kids have talent, and when we adults encourage it (especially when it's artistic in nature).

Can't wait to see more!

Lily Mayfield said...

Thanks Sarah. Yeah as I was posting the photos yesterday, I was thinking that it would be interesting to work in Hector's drawing somehow. He's really a talented kid, considering he has had no art education or training.