Sunday, August 15, 2010

Two New Images 
from The Westside Series






I'm working on a new sequence for The Westside photographs.  I hope to get some more work done on it and post it on my website soon!   The green, brown, and neutral color combinations in the images above are really pleasing to me.  Both images were taken in the Lawndale neighborhood.

I really enjoyed hearing stories from Lawndale residents who came to our Foto-op @ Op shop event.  I heard stories ranging from personal anecdotes to historical information about areas I photographed.  I found out that the Lawndale used to be a Jewish neighborhood about 50 years ago. And apparently there's a photographer who documented the community during that time.  I find the massive transition of culture in a specific location quite intriguing.  Lots of research and shooting to do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily,

D'Amato photographed that same wall: http://www.pauldamato.com/work

BG

Lily Mayfield said...

And recently too - I hadn't seen that photograph. The building is a block from my house.