Thursday, November 06, 2008

La Ponderosa Beach, Pavones, Costa Rica

So the election is over... and I'm ecstatic about the results!! Maybe now I can get back to my own work.

The above image is one of my rare landscape photos. Rare in that I don't show many of them. I shoot a lot of landscapes, but I never feel like I quite capture the place. It always feels like the photograph needs something else - like a person within the space. Maybe it is just my personal bias toward portraiture. I think another problem is that this place, Pavones, pictured above is just so vastly beautiful and amazing in so many different ways that I find it difficult to capture it within the limited space of the frame. When I look at this photograph, I am also thinking of and feeling the expanse of the space around and behind me, which is not shown within the frame.

I realize that a photographer obviously cannot capture every aspect of a person in a photograph either, but somehow the physical space of Pavones seems to allude me and my camera much more than the faces of the people I come across.

I guess this challenge will be part of my next task whenever I return to Pavones.

2 comments:

Elise Tanner said...

First of all, I think this image is breathtaking.

Secondly, it's ironic that you bring up landscapes, because it wasn't until recently that I started to pay attention to landscape photography. Studying in an urban environment like Chicago makes the prospect of landscape photography seem distant; therefore, I have thought little about it.

It wasn't until I met Mike Reinders that I started to think about landscape photography. From him I've discovered Stephen Shores landscape images, and a few others like Terry Evans' cityscapes. All of these photographers have stimulated my photographic eye, and I've begun to realize (having gone back to look at my older images) that I'm innately fascinated with landscapes.

I think what you say here is true. The frame of the image that is so unique to photography can either help or hurt an image. Because of this, in a lot of ways, photography may never be able to fully capture the concept of a landscape.

However, I will say, that you successfully did so with this image. :)

Lily Mayfield said...

Well said! And thanks for the compliment.