Saturday, August 01, 2009

New Photo: Summer Self Portrait


A new(ish) photo - made this one in late June, on the one day we've had all summer when the temperature was in the 90's. I was taking a break from painting some boards on our back porch, waiting in between coats of white paint.

I think it will be interesting to examine the changes in the physical self, after years of doing these self portraits - like Rembrandt or even Nick Nixon's Brown Sisters.

I am now done with the summer class I was teaching, and I have 3 weeks off!!! My plan was to photograph in Florida and Costa Rica, but those plans fell through once Jesse lost his job. So I'm going to utilize these 3 weeks to photograph regularly, as I was planning to do when I went on my trips. So more photos will be posted soon!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Intense.

Maybe you should of brought your face forward just a little, or turned it in order to fill in the shadow on the right side of your face. But that aside, the minimalist approach is quite affective, in the way that the background is completely ambiguous, leaving your body floating in a black void. I like your pictures best when the light has this type of drama. But that's me.

Lily Mayfield said...

I had some other shots with more of the right side of my face, but the expression and the way my left eye is lit up is what made me prefer this one over the others. Even with a digital camera, self portraits are really tricky. Thanks for your comments!